Award for the Best Ph.D Thesis of 2003 on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering
The meeting of the Evaluation Committee for the ECCOMAS award for the best PhD thesis 2003
was held on May 24, 2004 at CIMNE, Barcelona. The Committee was composed by: Ch. Hirsch, E. Ramm, B. Schrefler, N.-E. Wiberg (chairman) and P. Díez (secretary).
As an answer to the call for tender, 14 theses were nominated by the ECCOMAS member associations.
The Committee decided unanimously to award Dr. Furio Lorenzo Stazi
. This thesis has made several important contributions to the study of cracked and microcracked bodies. It has introduced new numerical methods for the treatment of multifield theories specialized for microcracking and new developments in the extended finite element methods (X-FEM). The prize was delivered during the European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, ECCOMAS 2004, Jyväskylä, Finland, 24 - 28 July 2004
All nominees were recognized by a special diploma.
The list of finalists
selected by the local-regional ECCOMAS Association is the following:
- Caboussat, Alexandre (BFIT, Board of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology – Switzerland): Analysis and Numerical Simulation of Free Surface Flows
- Gosselet, Pierre (CSMA, Computational Structure Mechanics Association, France): Domain Decomposition and Acceleration Methods for Multifields Problems in Nonlinear Mechanics
- Gravemeier, Volker (GAMM - International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics – Germany): The Variational Multiscale Method for Laminar and Turbulent Incompressible Flow
- Hübner, Björn (GACM - German Association of Computational Mechanics): Simultaneous Analysis of Wind-structure Interactions
- Mazzitelli, Irene (J. M. Burgerscentrum - The Netherlands): Turbulent Bubbly Flow
- McCarthy, Conor T. (ISSEC, Irish Society for Scientific & Engineering Computation): Three-dimensional Finite Element Analysis of the Effects of Clearance on the Mechanical Behaviour of Composite Bolted Joints
- Moses, Eyal (IACMM - Israel Association for Computational Methods in Mechanics): Numerical Methods in Topology Optimization
- Samaniego Alvarado, Esteban (SEMNI - Sociedad Española de Métodos Numéricos en Ingeniería): Contributions to the Continuum Modelling of Strong Discontinuities in Two-dimensional Solids
- Tavares da Silva, Miguel Pedro (APMTAC - Associação Portuguesa de Mecânica Teórica, Aplicada e Computacional): Human Motion Analysis Using Multibody Dynamics and Optimization Tools
- Teughels, Anne (Belgian National Committee for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics): Inverse Modelling of Civil Engineering Structures Based on Operational Modal Data
- Wecel, Gabriel (PACM - Polish Association for Computational Mechanic): Mathematical Modelling of Coupled Radiative and Convective Heat Transfer
- Wallin, Mathias (NoACM - Nordic Association for Computational Mechanics): Modeling of Plasticity at Large Strains
- Tsepoura, K. (GRACM - Greek Association for Computational Mechanic): Numerical Solution of Problems Taking into Account Microstructural Effects